Leading the NordicTrack C Series, the C 990 Treadmill remains one of the best buys in its price bracket. Its top selling points include a roomy 60″ x 20″ track, an automated 12% incline, and 32 built-in workout programs. This treadmill also has wireless heart rate monitoring, although the Bluetooth chest strap is sold separately. It’s also iFit enabled, which adds in all of the remarkable features that come with that subscription service. Though it has been discontinued by Nordictrack, it is still available on Amazon.
The tablet bracket and 7″ LED is an important combination to remember when you’re comparing treadmills. NordicTrack treadmills have different combinations of consoles and extras:
- Each has either a 7″ LED, a 7″ touchscreen with Internet browser or a 10″ touchscreen with Internet browser.
- Some also have a tablet bracket or a high-def TV.
We’re impressed by the C 990. At the same time, NordicTracks with even better features and longer warranties are often available at lower prices. Always compare prices on the NordicTrack homepage before you commit to any of their machines.
What We Like:
- Workout Variety: The NordicTrack C 990 has a diverse array of 32 workout applications. You can work on speed, endurance, and weight loss goals with programs that are customized to your fitness level. Whether following the pre-set workouts or use manual mode, choose from fifteen incline levels and 12 speeds.
- iFit Enabled: The C 990 is iFit enabled. This feature is the only difference we see between this unit and the often cheaper C 970 PRO. (The C 970 is only iFit compatible, which means you’d need to add a module). Using iFit requires a subscription, but you can download personalized workout programs, track your performance, compete in treadmill races with your Facebook friends, and virtually workout across the globe via Google Maps.
- Console Screen: The 7″ backlit LED console is easy to read at any angle. Speed, time, distance, calories, and heart rate are displayed. A quarter-mile digital RaceTrack helps you visualize progress. This is a simple console compared with the full color touchscreens on other NordicTracks, but it gets the job done.
- Tablet Bracket: The tablet bracket lets you personalize your workout experience. You can use the tablet for a variety of functions like alternative fitness apps or streaming YouTube video to make exercise time fly by.
- Audio: The C 990 includes an InterMix Acoustics sound system with 3″ speakers. A smartphone-compatible music port lets you stream MP3s directly through the treadmill’s console.
- High Quality Track: This treadmill’s smooth-running track measures 60″ x 20″, making it long enough for most runners. It provides a nice amount of grip and has adjustable cushioning.
- FlexSelect Cushioning: FlexSelect cushioning is an on/off feature. Turn the cushioning on to get excellent joint protection. Turn it off to simulate outdoor conditions and estimate your performance in outdoor competitions.
- Power Incline: A one-touch button lets you easily adjust the C 990’s incline from 0% up to 12%. This feature can help dramatically increase calorie burn and tone targeted muscle groups. Unfortunately unlike other treadmills (such as the NordicTrack 1750) there is no automated decline.
- Commercial Motor: This unit’s 3.0 CHP motor is designed to operate quietly and has a lifetime warranty. It’s comparable to 3.5 HP motors from other brands.
- SpaceSaver: Gain floor space when the treadmill’s not in use. The SpaceSaver telescoping design makes it easy to vertically fold the machine and stuff it away.
- Capacity: The maximum user weight is 325 pounds, which is above average.
NordicTrack C 990 Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Incline:||0 - 12%|
|Running Area:||20" x 60"|
|Top Speed:||12 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||325 LBS|
|Dimensions:||78.3" L x 35.75" W x 56.4" H|
- Wireless Heart Rate Monitor: This treadmill can be used with a Bluetooth wireless system, but the chest strap isn’t included. Other NordicTracks in this price category (like the Commercial 1750) include full Bluetooth systems.
- Warranty: The purchase price includes lifetime warranties on the motor and frame, a three-year warranty on parts, and one year of free labor. The parts warranty is a bit short. Other NordicTracks offer five-year parts warranties. So that’s a bit suspicious.
More Review Features of the NordicTrack C 990 Folding Treadmill on video!
The NordicTrack’s C 990 Treadmill offers a solid base for cardio training and muscle toning. The motor is strong, the track is long, and programming is ample. It also has you covered for entertainment, if you’ve got a tablet on hand. However, the C 990 doesn’t quite measure up to other NordicTrack treadmills. For comparison, check out the NordicTrack Commercial Series treadmills. The most affordable machine in this group is the 1750, which has a stronger motor, a touchscreen, an automated incline and decline, and the option to take your workouts online with iFit. Alternatively, if fancy trimmings aren’t of interest, check out the NordicTrack C 970 PRO. It’s virtually the same as the C 990 (minus its iFit-readiness) yet it’s is sold for much less. A solid machine to be sure, just not necessarily the best choice for many users.
- July 13, 2021: Added some FAQs to the page.
NordicTrack C 990 FAQs
Can you use the NordicTrack C 990 without an iFit subscription?
Yes, you can use the NordicTrack C 990 without an iFit subscription. There are 32 built-in workout programs for users to enjoy as well as running on manual mode.
Is the NordicTrack C 990 easy to assemble?
The NordicTrack C 990 is fairly easy to assemble and does not require a professional.
Is there a new version of the NordicTrack C 990?
The C 990 is part of NordicTrack’s older C Series, which is slowly being phased out by NordicTrack. The last model of the C 990 is from 2018. You can check out NordicTrack’s new Commercial Series treadmills to find an alternative to this treadmill. We suggest the NordicTrack Commercial 1750!